Wednesday, April 9, 2008

For now, photos

Knitting, knitting, knitting... I swear to you I am! As I mentioned in my last knitting entry - I am knitting up a storm, I just can't share because most of my items are gifts for upcoming events! Just be patient folks. But I promise I am definitely knitting. See - there's proof at the bottom of this entry!

As you wait patiently (since I'm sure everyone who reads this is positively on the edge of their seat) I'll throw down some extremely random photos here that I've snapped yet, for which I had no lengthy commentary. First up and really quite random, I wanted to show you the adorable Amy Butler fabrics I found recently. I was in the quilting store looking for other items but stopped in my tracks when I saw this "oh so cute" collection (and lots more) of fabric. I quickly scoured my brain and came up with projects so that I could buy some. Is it bad that this fabric is so slightly expensive that making 6 napkins (as I have planned for one of them) will still cost me almost $4 each? I guess I have to remind myself that it's a deal for specifically, very pretty napkins...

Mom and I had some amazing breakfasts at the Headlands Inn in Mendocino last week. One which she'd even told me about in advance (from her experience during a previous stay) was the Stuffed French Toast. It was fantastic! And don't you love it when B&B's share recipes? Mom showed up at my place Saturday night with all the makings for the French toast, so what was I to do? I whipped it up - let it sit overnight and baked it for breakfast Sunday morning. SO yummy. The bread/toast part fluffs up all light and airy but is still crispy and sweet on the outside!

Peachy Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast

1/2 loaf sweet French bread
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 t vanilla
1/4 c peach preserves
6 eggs
1/2 c heavy cream
1/4 c maple syrup
peach slices for garnish

Cream together cream cheese, jam and vanilla. Spread generously between 2 slices of French bread. Place in pan (4 pairs). Mix eggs, cream and maple syrup then pour over bread slices making sure egg soaks in as much as possible - try to evenly coat. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Set overnight. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350. Serves 4

Next up is the rather stunning "Red Sky at Night" photo I captured in my neighborhood one evening last month. This is not Photoshopped at all. I still can't believe the intense color of those clouds. I noticed a pinkish tint as I glanced out my window that night and went outside to investigate. I'd never seen a sky like that. I remember when I was little my dad saying something about "red sky at night, sailors delight; red sky in the morning, sailors take warning". I suppose that meant that we should have had nice weather the evening this was taken - and I think we did.

Finally, I'll leave you with a couple of great photos I got at the Giants Night-time Season Opener last night. I've been trying to get to a Giants game on a fireworks night for about a year now and for bizarre reasons - failed twice. Finally last night was perfect: the Giants beat the Padres in the bottom of the 11th inning, I saw my fireworks and there while it was COLD, there was no wind! To top it all off, I got these great fireworks pictures! Fireworks are usually quite challenging for a budding amateur photographer. Tri-pod present and shutter set at 2.5 seconds produced these. 2.5 seemed to be just the PERFECT amount of lag.

Speaking of lagging... time for bed! I've gotta rest up 'cuz before tomorrow ends there will be more macarons to gaze upon. 8-)

No comments:

Post a Comment